Import Cosmetics to Vietnam
With many years of experience in handling importing Cosmetics, in this article, Logistics HP Global summarizes the contents related to importing Cosmetics into Vietnam: Vietnam’s governmental management policy on importing Cosmetics; Import procedures for Cosmetics; Taxes on importing Cosmetics;… …
Definition of Cosmetic Product in Vietnam
According to Article 2, Circular No. 06/2011/TT-BYT dated 25 Jan 2011 of Vietnam Ministry of Heath on Cosmetics Management:
Cosmetic product is a substance or a preparation which is used for touch with outside parts of human body (skin, hair system, finger nails, toenails, lip, and outside reproduction organ) or teeth and mouth mucous membrane with main purpose in order to cleanse, aromatize, change the outward characteristics, form, adjust body’s smell, safeguard body, or maintain the human body in good condition.
According to Circular No. 06/2011/TT-BYT, there are 21 product type of cosmetic product as bellow:
- Creams, emulsions, lotions, gels and oils for skin (hands, face, feet, etc.)
- Face masks (with the exception of chemical peeling products)
- Tinted bases (liquids, pastes, powders)
- Make-up powders, after-bath powder, hygienic powders, etc.
- Toilet soaps, deodorant soaps, etc
- Perfumes, toilet waters and eau de Cologne
- Bath or shower preparations (salts, foams, oils. gels, etc.)
- Deodorants and anti-perspirants
- Hair care products
- Shaving product (creams, foams, lotions, etc.)
- Products for making-up and removing make-up from the face and the eyes
- Products intended for application to the lips
- Products for care of the teeth and the mouth
- Products for nail care and make-up
- Products for external intimate hygiene
- Sunbathing products
- Products for tanning without sun
- Skin whitening products
- Anti-wrinkle products
- Others (please specify)
HS code of Cosmetics
In order to properly determine policies, procedures of the import, one of the first thing needed to determine is the HS code of the commodity
Most cosmetic products are classified under group of HS 3304 “Beauty or make-up preparations and preparations for the care of the skin (other than medicaments), including sunscreen or sun tan preparations; manicure or pedicure preparations” in Vietnam’s List of Import and Export Goods
However, it should be noted that some cleaning products can be classified under group of HS 3401.
|HS code||Description of commodity||Preferential import tax rate(%)|
|33.04||Beauty or make-up preparations and preparations for the care of the skin (other than medicaments), including sunscreen or sun tan preparations; manicure or pedicure preparations.
|– Lip make-up preparations
|– Eye make-up preparations
|– Manicure and pedicure preparations
|– – Powders, whether or not compressed
|– – – Anti-acne preparations
|– – – Other face or skin creams and lotions
|– – – Other
|– Organic surface-active products and preparations for washing the skin, in the form of liquid or cream and put up for retail sale, whether or not containing soap
The classification of a product to a certain HS code is based on the nature, composition, …. of the actual imported commodity at the import time, based on catalogue, technical documents (if any) or /and decided by the Customs Department of Commodity Verification. The actual inspection results of the Customs and announcement by the Customs Department of Commodity Verification are legal basis for applying HS code to imported good. Importers are ultimately responsible for ensuring that the products are correctly classified.
Our above advised HS codes are for reference only.
For more information about this content, please refer to the article Definition of HS code in Vietnam
Governmental management on Cosmetics
Cosmetic product is under management of the Ministry of Health.
The most important legal document is the Circular No. 06/2011 / TT-BYT 06/2011/TT-BYT dated 25 Jan 2011 of Vietnam Ministry of Heath on Cosmetic Management
Accordingly, prior to go the market, the cosmetic product need to have Notification of Cosmetic Product which have Product Notification No. issued by Drug Administration of Vietnam under Ministry of Heath
Notification of Cosmetic Product in Vietnam?
Notification of cosmetic product in Vietnam means the enterprise who have responsibility on the cosmetic products in the market declare, notify with the governmental official, that the cosmetics products will be sold in Vietnam market
The enterprise who notify the cosmetic product have fully responsibility and confirmation that the cosmetic product in the notification meets all the requirements of the ASEAN Cosmetic Directive, its Annexes and Appendices.
Notification of Cosmetic Product Dossier in Vietnam?
According to Article 4, Circular 06/2011/TT-BYT, dossier of cosmetic notification include:
- Template for Notification of cosmetic product
- Copy of Business Registration Certificate of enterprise in Vietnam (normally, it is the importer)
- Power of Attorney of the manufacturer/owner clearly indicate that the Client in Vietnam is authorized to carry out all necessary procedures to notify the cosmetic products at Drug Administration – Ministry of Health, in which all cosmetic products to be notified should be listed.
- Certificate of Free Sale (or Permit of Circulation) issued by the competent authority of the country of origin certifying that the product is permitted to be freely sold in domestic and overseas markets and/or is currently circulated in accordance with the law and regulations of the country of origin. (not required for CPTPP members)
The Power of Attorney and the CFS must be legalized by the Consulate of Vietnam in the host country.
Validity of Cosmetic Notification in Vietnam?
The Cosmetics Notification Number have 5 years of valid since the date of official received by Drug Administration of Vietnam under Ministry of Heath (Artile 10, Circular 06/2011/TT-BYT)
Method of Cosmetic Notification in Vietnam?
Submit online on Vietnam National Single Window https://vnsw.gov.vn/
Taxes and duty payable on importing Cosmetics
When importing Cosmetics, the importer needs to pay import duties and value added tax (VAT).
VAT on Cosmetics: 10%.
Preferential import duty on Cosmetics is 10% – 27%.( depending on HS code)
Video Import Cosmetics to Vietnam: Procedure and Duty:
Customs procedure of import Cosmetics into Vietnam
Normally, customs documents for import commercial cosmetic product to Vietnam include:
a) Customs declaration
b) Contract, commercial invoice, packing list
c) Bill of lading, AWB
d) Valid Template for Notification of cosmetic product received and numbered by Drug Administration – Ministry of Health
e) Certificate of Origin (C/O) in case of special preferential import duty under FTA
(Circular 39/2018/TT-BTC dated 20 April 2018 Ministry of Finance – Vietnam)
Some other note on importing cosmetics to Vietnam
Cosmetics is in the list of management on declaration value
The cosmetics product should have sufficient label according to Vietnam stipulation
For more detailed advice on cosmetic notification, import procedures, shipping methods and full estimates for the entire shipment, please contact our customer service department by email info@ hpgloballtd.com or hotline ++84 98 487 0199
Hp Global Company Limited
Freight forwarder and Customs Brokerage
Room 2308, CT2 Van Khe, La Khe, Ha Dong, Hanoi
Website: hptoancau.com/ hpgloballtd.com
Phone: 024 73008608 / Hotline: 098 487 0199
– The article is for reference only, prior to using the content, it is suggested that you should contact HP Global for whether any update
– HP Global keep it full right copy right of the article. No copy for commercial purpose is approved.
– Any copy without approval by HP Global (even note quote from website hpgloballtd.com/hptoancau.com) can cause to our claim to google and related agencies.